On September 6th and 7th, 2019, Birmingham’s historic loft district will transform into the area’s liveliest arts scene—and here’s your chance to be part of it.
Birmingham Artwalk’s eighteenth annual juried art show will feature the work of more than 100 visual artists, live music, street performers, food and drink, and children’s activities.
The highly anticipated event is unique among the city’s festivals, with artists exhibiting in and around participating businesses, plus it has become a magnet for new and emerging artists. Free to the public, Artwalk draws more than 10,000 people downtown each year.
- All artists 18 years of age or older may apply.
- All works must be original and created by the artist. Commercially manufactured items or items produced from commercial kits or molds may not be exhibited.
- Artist collaborations may qualify if the team produces a single product in one medium and explains the arrangement on the application. (Otherwise each member will be considered an individual artist and must pay individual fees.)
- A jury selects the participating artists and can approve or refuse submitted works.
- Indicate on your application if any of your artwork depicts nudity or violence. This will not affect your eligibility, but will help Artwalk properly place your exhibit on the site and display advisories in keeping with the family-friendly atmosphere.
- Artists must be present and show their work throughout the entire event.
- Complete the following application.
- Pay jury and space fees via Paypal at the end of the application.
- Via the following form, upload three .jpg images of work that represent the pieces to be sold during Artwalk. Each image should be seven inches on the longest side and saved at 300 dpi in RGB color mode. Total file size for each image should be less than 1.8 MB.
- Via the following form, attach as a Word doc or copy and paste an artist statement/biography of 300 words or less. Describe your technique, materials, and the processes used to create your artwork. This information may be published on the Artwalk Web site and may also be edited before publication.
- Application must be submitted no later than June 15, 2019
- Jury Fee: $35 (nonrefundable)
- Artist Space Fee: $160
- DEADLINE: June 15, 2019
Artists whose applications are submitted after June 15th will be considered only if space is available, may not be eligible for prizes and will be subject to a $185 space fee. All event fees will be returned to applicants not selected. The artist space fee is refundable for any cancellation received in writing by July 30.
- Artists will be notified of acceptance or wait list status by email no later than August 15th.
- Artists on the wait list may choose to remove themselves, but Artwalk will make every effort to include as many artists as possible until September 6th. (The number of spaces available is contingent upon businesses and residents of the loft district and is not under Artwalk’s control.)
Best-of-show awards and cash prizes will be given based on the quality of artwork. The first round of judging will review images submitted with the applications; top-scoring artists will have their entire body of work evaluated during Artwalk.
Limit one artist per space. For artist collaborations, only one space is provided.
Spaces are made available at the invitation of the business owners, and each artist should cooperate with and respect the wishes of his or her host. Each space must be kept clean and in good shape by the artist using it.
Walls cannot be used for display purposes unless otherwise stated by the business owner. Each artist must bring his or her own displays, such as easels, tables, pedestals, etc.
Each artist selected for outdoor artist areas must supply his or her own 10’x10′ tent and lighting. Electricity and overnight security will be provided.
As required by law, each artist is responsible for collecting and turning in state, county, and city taxes in the envelopes provided by Artwalk at the close of the event on September 7th.
Deadline: June 15, 2019
RELEASE AND INDEMNIFICATION. Your signature to this Agreement indicates that you hereby (1) agree that you accept all risks associated with any display of your artworks hosted by or associated with Birmingham Artwalk, Inc., including, without limitation, theft, destruction or injury to your artworks due to vandalism, negligence, natural causes or acts of God, or any bodily injury or property damage caused to a third party by your artworks, (2) irrevocably and unconditionally release, remise, acquit and discharge Birmingham Artwalk, Inc., its successors and assigns and their present and former affiliates, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) of and from all losses, claims, liabilities, actions, demands, lawsuits, judgments, damages and expenses (including attorneys fees) of any kind and nature, whether known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, disclosed or undisclosed (collectively, “Claims”), that you or your successors or assigns may have or be entitled to claim at any time, now or in the future, or may previously have had or been entitled to claim against any of the Released Parties arising out of or relating to your artworks or the display of your artworks at any time, including, without limitation, any display of the artworks pursuant to this Agreement, and (3) agree to indemnify and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from all Claims of any third party (including, without limitation, any patron, customer or artist host) that are asserted or that, directly or indirectly, arise out of, relate to, or are connected with (A) any breach of this Agreement by you, (B) your artworks, or (C) any display of your artworks at any time, including, without limitation, any display of your artworks pursuant to this Agreement.